Co-working space rack & event-space networking

I thought I’d post about the current status of the networking rack in the coworking space, along with the current plans to provide dropdown network connectivity in the event space.

Co-working rack

The new rack in the coworking space is designed to consolidate most of the core networking architecture in one area, whilst remaining tidy and presentable to people in that area. The photos above are slightly outdated, but represent a general idea of what the project looks like currently, and how it should look similar in the future.

The current equipment this cabinet holds covers the incoming tibus line, the existing ethernet sockets scattered throughout the space, switches to make all the magic work, backup power to stop the magic from ever ceasing, and expansion bays for the new high-speed connections due to go into the event space. A list of equipment for anyone who’s interested:

• An Uninterruptible Power Supply (What model is it again?)
  • 2x Cat5 patch panels
  • 1x Cat6 patch panel
  • Alix 2D3 router running pfSense
  • Cisco Catalyst 2960 Switch
  • 2x Linksys… somethings (managed gig switches)
  • A Cisco PoE capable 8-port L3 switch for the IP phones
  • Brush panels and cable tidy bars

Event space high-speed networking

The plan is to at 4 equidistant points in the event space to provide dropdown cat6 connectivity to Farset’s core 1Gbit network. The cabling will support future efforts of 10Gbit/s. Each dropdown socket will provide two ports for connectivity.

Here’s a diagram in paint so you can understand easily.

Looks horrible. Better diagram to come.

If you would like to get involved contact me, @jonnyt or the Farset Director Team. Remember this is all planning so if you have any suggestions/feedback it would be very much appreciated!

Oh I forgot to mention about the plan for the 8U panel at the top of the rack!

The plan is to mount a touch-screen LVDS panel from a laptop (@bolster has kindly donated his from the Thinkpad X61s) to provide network information, graphs and the like to show interesting statistics. There is consideration that this will allow members to temporarily change the VLAN of an ethernet socket if they are working on a networking project or something similar.

The screen will be powered by an HDMI-to-LVDS converter, powered by the Raspberry Pi. You can see it in action here.

aahem…

“Generic red pfSense router”…

I’ll have you know that this is an Alix 2D3: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm

Currently in managed use around the ABPNI Managed Empire.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks @jonnyt. Fixed in post :blush:

Did @John_Devine not just put a cctv screen where the stats screen was supposed to go?

I’m not sure. Will need to check this later.

LOL! I built part of the bootloader for the Alix boards, I did my IAESTE placement with Pascal at PC Engines in Zurich. Small world.