Equipment donation thread

This thread is a sticky for items and oblongs people have donated to Farset, or are offering to donate.

If you plan to drop stuff down at the space or have done so recently, mention what you’re donating here!

DONATIONS to Farset
Does Farset want some server rack cabinets?
DONATIONS to Farset

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

Just an FYI -

I’ve donated 3x Linksys E2000s & 2x power supplies, they’re only partially functional - they need unbricked & flashed with a JTAG cable (@stealthii) but if anyone wants to make them functional again yous’re welcome to ave them for infrastructure or member projects

I’m also donating a mostly-working HP G6 Laptop

• Core i3
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 750 GB HDD
  • BROKEN SCREEN (pretty sure it’s either a damaged cable or the backlight has gone, cause if you hold a torch up to the screen you can just about see what’s on it) but outputs fine over HDMI & VGA

again, if someone wants to repair/replace the screen as a project they can; It’s currently got a clean install of Ubuntu 13.10 server so would also make a good headless machine if people wanted

First off, how the hell do you have so many routers, Chris? :stuck_out_tongue: (Hopefully they come with power supplies)

Hopefully going with the preliminary inventory system, are these outright donations or loaned? I’m thinking donations will still be marked with their donator on them so we know who’s nice or not (or who donated all the rubbish) or if the space eventually closes who’s doors we start knocking on to take stuff back.

Autistic tendency of obsession with/collection of lots of objects in a very narrow field AKA it’s me :stuck_out_tongue: Yes, the 2 power supplies mentioned in the post are for 2 of the E2000s. I have a third supply, but it’s a European 2 pin one so it’ll need an adaptor.

Not sure, I would like them to be outright donations, but no doubt I’ll need to borrow one back at some stage cause I’ve broken a router/been sent somewhere with no wifi but we’ll dell with that closer to the time under the HDL

Hey,

I was down at the Labs for a tour the other day and it was mentioned that you take donations of used electrical equipment. I Spoke to Andrew Bolster and he suggested that I post here to see if/what the community wanted to do.

I’m currently an Intern at SAP Belfast and we have some kit we are planning to get rid of. All the equipment is in working order, so I thought I’d see if you guys wanted it before we disposed of it:

~15 Monitors (DVI + VGA, think they’re 20 inch)
2 UPS
3 HP ProCurve Network switches (up to 1000 Mbps)
1 Half Rack

Please note that this is not a firm offer, as I’m still waiting for approval for donating the equipment.

Hey JD,

Obviously we have limited space so donations are kept to a pre-approved level. Based on your list we would most definitely (and eagerly) accept donation of the 2 UPS, and the 3 HP ProCurve switches. This would help bring our network up to a compatible standard.

Photos of the half-rack would need to be provided. Ideally full depth, closed side racks would be better for us to store member / project servers in, however thin frame, half-depth rack would also be cool to replace our core network cabinet.

We are overflowing with monitors, but if they are at least DVI-D capable (resolution information also desirable) we could make great use of these as information screens. We have too many VGA-only monitors and cannot accept donations of this type :smile:

Thanks for the information (and firm offer :trollface:)

DVI-D monitors would make Raspberry Jams a lot easier due to Pis lack of VGA, HDMI to DVI-D is simple.
They already sound better than that set of VGA ones sitting in Farset, especially if they have stands!

Apologies for the delay in responding.

After speaking with our hardware guy I’ve discovered there is a slight issue with the UPSs. As far as we can tell they seem to have an problem with the control panel at the front, meaning that they currently cannot be controlled by those buttons. They batteries themselves should still be working, but some rewiring (or replacement of the front panel controller) would need to be done before they can be used.
The Monitors are 17 inch, with a resolution of 1280*1024 and both VGA and DVI-D inputs.
The Half-rack was a full 19 inch rack (but of half height), there is actually 2 of these that we are disposing of, holding around 20U each.

Images of the various equipment:
[image-gallery]

[/image-gallery]

@JDickson835 did the equipment ever make it to Farset?
Those monitors would be very useful for the Raspberry Jam on Sat 19th July for use with the Raspberry Pis.

Hi Guys,
I brought mitre saw.
I can’t just donate it, but I want to keep it there for my projects as well as projects of anyone else who wants to use it in a mean time.

I would also stress that this equipment is dangerous and require training before use.
It should probably be put into a locker and have a sign on it.

Is there a method to put a lock directly on the mitre saw? I think there is a HDL label that covers equipment that is not donated, but available for use ( @stealthii ?).

I have a number of hand-tools that aren’t really in use since I stopped doing works to the house, which I was going to donate/provide if there are no objections:

1x decent large Stanley toolbox
1x 8oz (small) claw hammer
1x small bench vice (with clamp)
2x medium ratchet clamps
1x Bailey band clamp (for irregular shapes)

Also, if they would be used, I have a Bosch corded hammer drill and set of miscellaneous (100+) drill bits that I would happily donate.

Just an FYI -

I’ve donated 3x Linksys E2000s & 2x power supplies, they’re only partially functional - they need unbricked & flashed with a JTAG cable (@stealthii) but if anyone wants to make them functional again yous’re welcome to ave them for infrastructure or member projects

I’m also donating a mostly-working HP G6 Laptop

• Core i3
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 750 GB HDD
  • BROKEN SCREEN (pretty sure it’s either a damaged cable or the backlight has gone, cause if you hold a torch up to the screen you can just about see what’s on it) but outputs fine over HDMI & VGA

again, if someone wants to repair/replace the screen as a project they can; It’s currently got a clean install of Ubuntu 13.10 server so would also make a good headless machine if people wanted

Hey Guys, In the place i work they are throwing out 2 server rack cabinets. They said i could have them. I acutally have no use for them but you guys might.

Details
You would need to collect them.
The office is in the science park
they are about 1 meter high and about 400mm wide. This is my guess.Can measure if it is necessary.
You do not need to take the 2.

Let me know if there is any interest. Can put up pictures.

Hi @blades2000 , unfortunately we’re trying to get rid of cabinets ourselves, as we have far too many that are not much use to us.

If we were to accept a rack, it would have to be full height, full depth, preferably lockable.

actually the racks i am talking about are already in this post with pictures above. Posted by @JDickson835. They are still in work. Will check about the locks.

Hey all!

Got 2 Nexus 5 screen assemblies here. One has broken front glass but working LCD+Digitizer. The other has fine front glass but broken LCD+Digitizer. It is possible to transfer the front glass from one to the other if anyone fancies it, but it is quite hard.

Anyone want em?

I’ve got a few things sitting around at home which are too good to chuck, but not worth enough £ to put on eBay.
They’re free to Farset, or to anyone who wants them. (I’m wary of refilling the place with new junk!)

• Gigabyte Thin Client - Photo 1 Photo 2
  • 800MHz CPU
  • 512MB RAM
  • 20GB HDD
  • Uses about 20W when running
  • Mono Laser Printer (With toner) - Photo 3
  • Samsung ML-1660
  • Freeview box with HDD - Photo 4
  • Goodmans GHD8020F2
  • 80GB HDD
  • Motherboard Bundle
  • ConRoe1333-DVI/H
  • 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo
  • 4GB RAM
  • Fairly unexciting graphics card
  • Digital photo frame containing pictures of people I’ve never seen in my life before - Photo 5
  • 250GB SATA HDD (3.5")
  • 500GB SATA HDD (3.5")
  • 120GB SATA HDD (2.5")

If anyone wants anything from the list, let me know and I’ll leave it in Farset for collection.
If anything could be of use in the space, let me know that, too!

Nice collection :slight_smile: The first three wouldn’t be Farset ready stuff, but I’m intrigued as to what someone would do with the thin client! In fairness, after having a look at the Raspberry Pi’s thin client capabilities it’s hard to imagine these machines are up to comparison these days.

The ‘motherboard bundle’ would be quite useful for a Farset SDR project, I know @jonnyt was interested in building one, and with getting a full depth server rack soon we’ll have space to house equipment like this finally!

Hard drive shortage is always a thing, and they take up little space, I’d say yes to a donation :stuck_out_tongue: The photoframe I think would be cool to load all the Farset Flickr photos onto and wallmount somewhere.