Farset Community GPU Mining Rig

So I’m in the process of building the first GPU based number cruncher in Farset Labs. This rig will be capable of password cracking, 3d render processing, crypto-currency mining, and lots, lots more.

It should end up looking similar to this, just far more consolidated and rack mountable.

Why are you doing this?

It’s fun, can be a community project, and makes shitloads of money.

Can I get involved?

Sure, just head over to the pledge topic and submit your digits. Work on this rig will be limited to those who put money towards the project.

Where will this be hosted?

Ideally at Farset Labs itself. I will agree with the directors beforehand the implications of this - it is likely they will get electricity cost + space rent + a tip for being cool with it.

What hardware is being used?

Currently the following:

• ASRock H81 Pro BTC Motherboard
  • Intel Pentium G3220 Dual Core CPU
  • Corsair AX1200 PSU
  • 6x USB3 PCIe risers
  • 4x AMD Radeon R9 270 GPU
  • 2x AMD Radeon 7950 GPU

More information will be posted on this topic when all the parts have been acquired! If you have any other questions, let me know :slight_smile:

Would love to get in on this… looks fun.

Can we not just use it as a render farm…? :stuck_out_tongue:

Can I draw up a 3d model of a case design??

You can but I won’t use it :wink:

These things will be shortlived enough, and required to be built quickly, that cases won’t really be an option.

I plan to mount the cards underneath a rack shelf, with the motherboard and PSU on top. There is no need for a display, as this machine will be managed remotely.

Surely airflow will be an issue without a case?

Also what’s the plan for when the hardware is no longer cash positive?

If there is good airflow around the equipment, cooling is usually better as it isn’t pushing the same warm air around a large case.

When/if the hardware is no longer cash positive we can destroy it with hammers (will have paid for itself many times over), or put it to other cool uses such as password cracking, 3d rendering, or fighting cancer / contacting aliens.

If we find an alien, do we get naming rights?

Which ‘coins’ will this mine?
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison#Graphics_cards

Doge. It’s currently the most profitable per work done, and should pay for itself (assuming I started last week) in 41 days. This is an estimate though and I’ve no idea how this will sit in near future.

I’ll be starting to build this tonight hopefully down at the space, if anyone has any questions, come along and I’ll attempt a demonstration!