"I Can Solder" Badges

Link : https://www.tindie.com/products/PartFusion/i-can-solder-badge-v1/

Saw these, thought they were cool. Made by and for the TOG space in Dublin.

Gave them a shout and they can do us bulk orders on the order of 100s for €1.60 (around £1.20) a pop.

These could be useful for things like CoderDojo, or even as a stand alone event. Or just as kits that we buy in and sell for say £2 for people to experiment with.

Thoughts? Waste of time?

Simple, interesting to look at and fun.
What’s not to like?

My only (minor) reservation is the LED, they can be somewhat heat sensitive so it might be prudent to order a bunch of spares.

I think we’ve got enough LEDs in the project room (even after Robin’s done!) to cope with a few breakages, and @matthazley and @Colin_Kelsey were looking at an components buy-in anyway after it’s all sorted, so I don’t think we need to join the issues.

Just don’t wanna spend a few hundred quid on stuff noone wants or cares about :smiley:

@martinus you don’t want to start a ‘ElectronicsDojo’ by any chance? :stuck_out_tongue:

What size would the group need to be to make this worthwhile?

For the hypothetical dojo? 15-20 people.

For the buy-in, at least 100 kits.

Could probably make the argument that it should be part of project-room training to be able to solder, but that’s a discussion for the on-islanders. :smiley:

@Conor and @stealthii were doing a top job today, lots of working soldered badges and happy kids with unscorched fingers. Apologies for not sticking around longer and helping out a bit more.

A few tips:

1. Conical ‘pointy’ iron tips are not the best for through-hole component soldering, they don’t supply heat over a large surface area. Small spade/screwdriver tips are better for this application.
  2. The tip on the soldering iron that Dan was using to teach is pretty oxidised. Get a small piece of fine grit wet and dry and rub the tip down (while the iron is cool) wrap the tip in solder and let it heat up slowly if possible. The solder should adhere and provide a larger surface-area for heat transfer.
  3. Remind the person doing the soldering to clean the tip (only a couple of times, more decreases the tip temp.) only before soldering a joint. The solder on the tip subsequent to soldering helps prevent oxidation.
  4. Also, purely from a health & safety perspective, mention that flux fumes do not provide super-powers and soldering should be done in a well ventilated area (feel free to scream hypocrite at me when you see me flagrantly not practising what I preach).