Irish Maker Hub Proposal; show your support

Got a message from our friend Thom who runs _maker. Thought people might be interested.

Hi Folks,

How’s it going? I hope you’ve all been able to use your new electronics skills for something useful!

The reason I’m getting in contact is that I’m currently part of a team putting together a proposal to create an Irish Maker Hub in the heart of Dublin city centre. (The deadline for our proposal is next Thursday 18th December). www.maker.ie would become a central focus for the Irish craft/maker scene and the audio electronics stuff would migrate to a new domain.

The main objective of the Hub is to bring together craftspeople, makers, designers and entrepreneurs so they can meet, work, share skills, collaborate and develop their businesses. The space will contain a fabrication laboratory (also known as a Fab Lab) with prototyping and manufacturing equipment such as 3D printers, a CNC machine, Laser cutter, soldering stations, sewing machines etc… that will be accessible to all members of the space as well as the public. We will also have a Maker-in-Residence who will be on hand to facilitate the use of the Fab Lab and educate others in the use of its equipment. Here’s a link to the full proposal outline: http://goo.gl/2Sh9eJ (It’s also attached as a .pdf).

The hub will also have an Entrepreneur-in-Residence to support it’s members through talks and workshops in the areas of business development, marketing, accountancy, social media, business plan preparation, and investment pitching. We believe this would be useful to anyone who is thinking of turning their artistry or craft into a sustainable business.

To support our proposal we are putting together some market research consisting of 5 short questions regarding non-specific details of yourself/organisation, your interest in this proposal, and which facilities of the hub you believe would be of use to you - http://goo.gl/forms/3xjXLi5LPH.

If you think this would be of interest to anyone you know, I would be really grateful if you could pass it onto them. And please don’t hesitate to get in contact if you have any questions.

All the best,
Thom