Project Ideas

Dosen’t look too hard the pins are really as its a resistor, power and ground
but you need to find a way to read the resistance.

EDIT: Best way is a usb converter.

EDIT 2: i came across this http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt

From Wiki

Pin 1 +5V +5V DC
Pin 2 B1 Button 1
Pin 3 X1 X axis for joystick 1 (0–100 kΩ)
Pin 4 GND Ground for B1
Pin 5 GND Ground for B2
Pin 6 Y1 Y axis for joystick 1 (0–100 kΩ)
Pin 7 B2 Button 2
Pin 8 +5V +5V DC
Pin 9 +5V +5V DC
Pin 10 B4 Button 4
Pin 11 X2 X axis for joystick 2 (0–100 kΩ)
Pin 12 GND Ground for buttons 3 and 4 (or MIDI out)
Pin 13 Y2 Y axis for joystick 2 (0–100 kΩ)
Pin 14 B3 Button 3
Pin 15 +5 V +5 V DC (or MIDI in, sometimes unconnected)

Hi everyone

First time posting. i was just pointed your way by a friend.

A guys birthday is coming up and his Girlfriend wants to get him a Superhero Chess set. All the ones we have found are expensive or rubbish. So I was wondering if you would be able to 3d print a set?

We would be able to get a chessboard sorted but we need the pieces.
do you think you could do it? How much would it be?

In all honesty, a 3d printed set isn’t going to look or feel better than purchased sets. Our printer would only print pieces in one colour (though there is the option of changing colour part of the way through for higher layers.

If the attraction is a 3d printed chess set, then it’s not a bad idea. You can find examples of 3d printable chess sets on Thingiverse.

Jasper: Open Source Siri based on Pocket Sphinx

http://jasperproject.github.io/

@clairebones this might be up your street?

One problem - it says to use the Akiro Kinobo USB Microphone, that you can’t get at a reasonable price. :frowning:

Though the Akiro Kinobo is just a cheap PlugAndPlay USB microphone, so most similar mics should work.

Jasper can in theory be used with any USB microphone, it’s just that they’ve tested it with the Akiro Kinobo themselves. Your microphone needs to be good enough quality for distinguishable words and sound patterns, but within that range any USB microphone should work :smile:

Is there any interest in building a robot for the space.
something like this
hackaday telepresence with a minimum of effort

with a touch screen interface, maybe a couple of short videos explaining what and who of the space.

It could be used for security, as a “greeter” or just as a fun robotics project.

A telepresence bot has been a proposal bubbling up for a while now, so there’s definitely interest - particularly given that there is an electric wheelchair currently available for a Farset project (with permission). I think the biggest hurdle is someone seeing the project to completion, as despite what Hack-A-Day claim, I don’t think it’s a ‘minimum of effort’ :smiley: Interested in taking it on?

Speak to @ben and @John_Devine about videos, as that’s another idea that is slowly bubbling to the surface.

This isn’t so much a project idea as an unrealistic dream, that I wanted to share, just for fun :slight_smile: But…

IBM have posted instructions (just a teaser, really) on how to build your own Watson server. It is actually doable, with time, hardware, and open source software. It would lack the same optimisations, information database, and strategies as the Watson that won jeopardy, and uses an open-source version of some software rather than commercial versions.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/InsideSystemStorage/entry/ibm_watson_how_to_build_your_own_watson_jr_in_your_basement7?lang=en

The details they leave out are tying it all together, optimising machines, etc. For example, you need to write custom importers for each datatype (in Java, not even a DSL), then you need to feed that into UIMA, and tie it together with OpenCyc and OpenNLP for data extraction and queries, hadoop, etc., etc.

It needs at least about three servers, and at least one of those needs to be a 32-core beast for a 4-minute response time. To get jeopardy-like 3 second answers, it needs about 3000 cores :smiley:

BUT, I’d definitely settle for a couple of minutes for the kind of analysis this could do. It’d be SO cool to drop data into and get answers out of, like needles from a haystack :smile:

In terms of storage solutions for the Project Room, what about a French cleat system? It’s just lengths of plywood mounted along studs of a wall or bench with a 45 degree bevel along the top edge, into which simple holders for tools fit (see picture below). It’s really quick to make, very strong, and everything is visible all at once. Plus, things can slide along the rails, so nothing is set in stone layout-wise, and things can easily be removed to bring them to tables for use etc. It can also be adapted for heavier things by using a dovetail-style mount, but for hand tools, the standard single cleat design is more than capable.