Space Energy Project

Following discussion at Town Hall just now, please contribute suggestions, resources and sweat to making Farset more energy efficient.

We need to keep our costs down, but it’s also a pretty cool project.

Items discussed so far include:

Sealant for windows.
Curtains.
Springs to close doors.
Energy efficient lighting, eg. LEDs.
Approaching companies as potential sponsors (eg. supplying lights, etc.).

Perhaps good for picking up ideas? Free tickets for Self Build & Improve show, Kings Hall, 14-16th Feb 2014.

Ooh, I might actually go to that.

I spent a couple of hours edging and sealing the windows and inner door in the co-working space for draughts with standard brush, d-profile and v-profile seals where necessary. These should be more effective than putting foam boards in front of the windows at stopping draughts leaking heat. The window facing the railway needs some repair and/or a second locking handle lower down, but the seals should cover it in the mean-time.

I’ll take a look at the other windows too, but figured the co-working space needed it first.

Next up: The boiler-leak needing fixed, and curtains or lined roller-blinds to keep the heat in. Especially at night. We could try plastic-lining on the single-glazing, but it’s pretty negligible compared to curtains. Obviously, curtains need to be cleaned (very) occasionally.

I’m likely heading to the self-build thingy for a couple of hours, but need to check with Angie.

https://thingspeak.com/channels/9608 This is the temp reading site that we (almost entirely Matts work) put together to monitor the brew. Thought it might be sort of relevant here, since it also provides the ambient air temp wherever the fermenter is- in this case at the back of the workshop.

Saw this last night from FB. V cool. I’ve created a page on the beta site for building monitoring stuff.

Link

Will probably play with it for a while but for now it’s ok

@Colin_Kelsey @matthazley what’s that running off and is it documented anywhere? (so that others can replicate it so the coldest part of the building isn’t the only place reporting the temperature…)

Report on Self Build and Improve Show; perhaps useful if you want a really expensive kitchen, otherwise rubbish. Nothing of relevance.

Just a one wire temp sensor running off a raspberry pi and posting to thingspeak. All python just. I have it on github (not posting till I check the latest code is checked in)

I think you can run 16 one-wire sensors on the one bus with the pi so one pi, some stripboard, some cat 5 and four one wire sensors would be enough to rig up a temp sensor in each room of the space. I don’t know if cable length would be an issue, prob not.

Would be interested in setting that up actually - I’ll look into it.

For potential fitting to reduce drafts; door closer, £20:

Why did the workshop temperature suddenly go up to 26 degrees on Sunday night?

Early afternoon, sorry, 1250 am not pm. Wonder do we need to cover the temp sensor, i.e. do we have a problem with direct sunlight.

about 10m, which if mounted around where the projector is would cover the vast majority of the space link

Thats an easy one… I’m tempted to try and make you work it out.

EDIT: Sorry - I read the rest of your post and you did indeed get it. Sunlight. Only happens on sunny days but yes. it needs covered.

Cool - when I get paid next week I’ll buy some stuff and see can I set it up.

If the present heating controller happens to have a simple DC output that could be monitored for on/off it would be great to graph that as well, for correlation with temperature levels.

Or use thicker wire to go further. From reading that thread it looks like the person who actually got it to work only had to worry about resistances. The others who are worrying about inductance and capacitance effects don’t seem to have actually tried it, so at the lower data rates (approx = lower frequencies) capacitance and inductance mightn’t be all that important.

TLDR; try thicker wire, it’ll probably work at any distance within reason.

Is there any cat5 lying around I could use? @stealthii?

There are many scraps and lengths of Cat5/5e cable, though I believe we’ve got good phone wire as well in the store (2 pair and nicely shielded). If you’re heading down later I’ll be down with @martinus for some electronics fun anyway!

Another item that may be worth adding to the energy-saving shopping list is standby power off switches, or central remote switching for any non-essential (i.e. desk-based) power sockets. Or at least having a policy on not leaving monitors/speakers/etc in standby mode, as we tend to have a lot of older monitors that don’t conform to the ‘less than 1W’ standby seen in more recent models.